Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Reupholstery: Another pair of french arm chairs

More reupholstery!!!!!!
No kidding, I just keep cranking 'em out at the SheShe Ranch!
Here's a pair that I found at Diversity Thrift 2 last week........
 Not that I was really looking for chairs, but I couldn't resist...again...
 Here's the process: 
After ripping off the piping, I painted the frames in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in a mixture of Louis Blue and Old White.
Here's what it looks like after painting:
 After the paint dried, I waxed, and then added a layer of dark wax in all the nooks and crannies.
 The dark wax really makes the finish I think. 
(Left: After waxing. Right: Paint only.)
 So the frames are finished. Next up: Upholstery!
 I found a 13 yard bolt of this wonderful neutral chenille last week at the Jr League Thrift Store in Carytown, The Clothes Rack, for next to nothing.  
You'll be seeing this fabric a lot!!!!!! 
It's perfect for upholstery because it's so neutral, and I find that's what sells best. 
Because they'll work in any home!
I added new foam/batting to the backs and seats and proceeded to cut the fabric to fit, 
then glued/stapled and trimmed the edges.

 Then I glued gimp all along to hide the staples and raw edges.
One done!
 And two!
 I used another fabric (yes, another thrift store find!) on the backs: 
It's slightly lighter and has a diamond pattern. 
I just like to mix things up a bit!
 And here they are set up in my booth at West End Antiques
Ballard Designs or Pottery Barn would charge anywhere from $399-799 a chair.  
My price? $575 for the pair! 
Of course I really wanted them for my own living room.
Maybe they won't sell....??? You think?

2 comments:

  1. Where are your things? West End Antique???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, West End Antiques, Building One, Space 14. (Just ask where dealer She is.)
      It's at the Crossroads Shopping Center off of Staples Mill. Right at the Holiday Inn.

      Delete