Monday, March 19, 2012

Rehab of A Vintage Office Chair


This office chair had been tossed away....
I've been admiring it for months as it lay upside down in someone's deserted yard.
This is what it looked like when I started:
 Nailhead trim and black leather upholstery.

 To say the finish was a little weathered was an understatement.
 I ripped off the leather, and removed all the nailheads.
 I stripped the finish, mostly with a sanding block. It came off like dirt......
 At first I thought it was oak, but it didn't look like oak after I removed the finish. 
It had a purple tint, but I don't think it was mahogany either.
 Whatever it was, it was blotchy and ugly.
 So i first put on a golden oak stain...
 And then added a walnut layer as well.  
Then I removed all the upholstery, added foam 
and batting and new webbing to the seat,

 And reupholstered in this indoor/outdoor lime green fabric 
and a coordinating gimp that  i purchased at UFab,
The gimp hides all the staples/nails along the edges.
 Here's the back. I love the curvature of the piece.
 Ballard Office Furniture Tag.
 Sturdy as a rock, but oh so comfortable and wear friendly 
with it's new cushiony upholstery
It's for sale at Tuckahoe Antique Mall near Wintergreen.  $185.

No comments:

Post a Comment