Monday, March 5, 2012

"Beachify" - Makeovers for a beach house

Here are a couple of quick projects I did yesterday for my friend, Bonita, 
who was in town for the weekend. 
She has a wonderful beach house in Bethany Beach, 
and she came to town with a couple of little "assignments" for me. 
(Thanks, Bo!)
First up....a plain jane ottoman...that looked sort of like this. 
Oops, I forgot to take a before photo.  
Bonita's ottoman was actually white patent leather in a faux snake skin texture.
The kind that sticks to your skin when you sit on it in your bathing suit, and then when you get up, you have a lovely pattern on the back of your thighs that looks exactly like cellulite;) 
Not very beach house friendly!!
 AFTER:  
I reupholstered with this great graphic fabric that we found at Artee
The pattern looks sort of like a cross between a sunflower and a sea anemone.
Thick self piping polishes it off.......

 Next up, this little luggage rack I had in my booth. Bonita wanted to use it in her soft blue-grey master bedroom at the beach, so her husband, Ken, would have a place for his luggage.
 I used a chenille remnant in a taupe and blue gray to upholster the top..
..and then "beached up" the frame by painting in Annie Sloan's Louis Blue chalk paint, 
followed by a wax job.  Much better.

And while I'm on the subject of sea life and beach houses, 
here's Bonita's outdoor shower that I redid a couple years ago......in an afternoon.
 BEFORE: Honestly, is there anything better than showering outdoors on a hot summer day after you're all aglow from the sun?
 So let's make the experience truly blissful....A little paint and....
 AFTER:
Woo hoo!! I painted the stall in aqua and blue tones, getting deeper/bluer as you travel "beneath the sea."
I used iridescent glazes here and there for a shimmery effect.
And then I handpainted lots of little sea creatures!
 Fishy...
 More fishies...
 Angel fish
 conch shell and starfish
 Ms. Octopus is the bomb!
Mr. Crab
Coral and seagrasses
My favorite is this mermaid that can't be "quite captured.";)
Above, a dolphin jumps the waves.
 Yep, it brings outdoor showering to an all new sea level!
I know...I know...Corny, but, it just makes me so giddy to see this fun little shower stall.
I wanna go to the beach!










1 comment:

  1. Your are just great at everything you do love your work....

    mandy

    ReplyDelete