Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Non Traditional Approach to Window Treatments can save you $$$



Here's an example of how a little creativity can save a ton of money.
These homeowners recently added a large family room to their home.
The room has four sets of double windows and a door to a patio. 
They love all the natural light but wanted to get my ideas for window treatments.
I suggested bamboo shades that could be raised/lowered, 
and panels hung high - like this photo below - to give the impression of a higher ceiling.   
Custom panels are so expensive, so I looked for some alternatives to keep the budget reasonable.
Wanna see what I came up with??
Before...........
After!  
Although I found lots of fabrics that I thought would make lovely drapes,
I also looked at non-traditional sources......
 
I found these great quilts at Marshalls. I used four full sized, 
and simply cut each in half and hemmed the raw edges.
Then using drapery rings with clips, 
I hung them on thin oil rubbed bronze drapery rods.  
 The variety of colors in the drapes help marry the mismatched furniture in the room.
And using quilts as opposed to making custom drapes 
saved the clients in the neighborhood of $1000.
That's no small potatoes!!!!

I also recommended setting up some smaller "zones" in the large room....

I moved the coffee table under a window, added pillows and another quilt, to simulate a window seat.
 Here's the other side of the room. 
The room's so large, 
I couldn't get a photograph with all four pairs of windows!
Kitty cats - enjoy your new view;)



No comments:

Post a Comment