Monday, February 1, 2016

A Dated Ottoman Gets a Homespun Makeover

 This is about the ugliest ottoman I've ever seen.
Dated chenille fabric...
The piece sags in the middle...
And these fabric covered legs are the worst!
I started this makeover by removing the fabric from the legs
and body..
I cut a piece of scrap lumber 
and used angle brackets to secure it to the inside top,
to take care of that sag.
Next, I sanded and stained the wood legs.
They aren't great looking,
but anything is better than that fabric.
 Next, I upholstered with a polar fleece throw
to stabilize all the batting and make it tight.
And it's ready for the final fabric.
 I'm using this ticking fabric….
 I just pulled tight and stapled along the inside edges.
The corners were a little tricky…
I pleated the fabric for those,
and then stapled and cut off the excess.
Then I glued strips of fabric to hide the edging,
and secured with over sized nail heads.
 It's still not my favorite piece,
 But it's a heck of a lot better!
And the rustic legs work nicely with this simple fabric.
Time to put up the tootsies!!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment