Saturday, February 13, 2016

Rehab for a broken cane chair.


This random chair has been hanging out in my dining room 
for some time….
 You can see here that the caning 
on the chair front is in bad shape.
 But the caned seat is intact……..
Here's what I did to rehab this chair:
First, I painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey.
 After drying, 
I distressed all the edges..and waxed.
 I didn't paint the caning because 
I'm going to cover those areas.
 (I failed to take photos of rebuilding the back, 
but I just left the caning in, 
and added lots of batting in front of the caning,
and behind it.) 
Then I used some remnants to cover,
stapling along the edges.
I had to piece the back, 
but I'll fix that in a minute..
 Now I have the front, back 
and seat upholstered and edges trimmed.
 To finish, I glued gimp along all the edges,
and reinforced ends with nail heads.
 For the back, 
I glued this wide striped trim to hide that seam.
I used a chenille for the seat.
It's finished………….
would make a great chair with a frenchy little desk…
or with a vanity.
For Sale: $85

Have a chair that needs some TLC?
SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment