Friday, February 19, 2016

Coming up with a use for some old shutters

My friends tend to give me stuff they don't want anymore…
Like Bonita, who on a recent visit, 
brought me these shutters that have been in her house FOREVER.
The inserts are a yellow plastic and very fragile.
Lots are broken, which is okay.
because they're going anyway.
 I had just pulled this primitive piece out of storage to work on, 
and, hmmm, I got an idea.
 First I painted the console in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey, 
in a very dry brush technique.
I didn't want total coverage. After distressing,
I applied wax, dark wax, and then added some brass hardware.
 I painted the inside doors in a combo 
of Antibes Green and Versailles.
After waxing, 
I lined the shelves with wallpaper.
Then I started playing around with those shutters,
and it just so happened that they fit the top PERFECTLY.
Are you seeing where I'm going with this?
Entertainment Center…
armoire…
liquor cabinet/bar...
 For the back and sides, 
I wanted the shutters to be stationery,
 so I removed the screws from the hinges..
 Then I flipped the hinge so it's perpendicular...
And screwed it back in.
I used angle brackets to secure the 
"top" to the base.
 The front shutters are the only ones that open now.
Then I played around with fabric...
 I decided to use this shower curtain.
So I cut out cardboard to fit in the shutters,
and then covered with the fabric
and glued them in.
 Then inside, I added strips to both sides
so I can add a shelf.
 After cutting a board to size, 
I covered the shelf in the same Thibaut wallpaper 
I used in the interior of the console..
More birds…….hmmm, I must be in a bird kind of mood today...
 I then decided to also paint the shutters, to match the console base.
Now, the ideal time to do this would have been 
before I added the fabric inserts….
 But sometimes logic is an afterthought.
I was definitely being tested today……..
many snafus…
This thing took me ALL DAY…
but it's finally done!
Except for waxing the top, 
which I'll do tomorrow.
Take a look inside!
I added lumber to make a top, 
 and then added a wine glass rack...
This makes the perfect wine bar! Glasses on top...
Plenty of space for bottles here,
as well as inside the console base.

I think it's time for a glass!
Amazing what you can do with….junk….
Thanks, Bonita!
Although I was planning to take this to my booth 
at RVA Antiques on The Avenues,
it's rather awkward to move…
and since the shutters are lined with fabric,
it's rather delicate…

So I think I might just have to keep it!!!!!!!!!
Oh darn!

And there went my day!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment