Thursday, July 30, 2015

Four Hours of Work Make a Happy Girl!! A Living Room Revamp


My client lives in this cute little house outside of 
Charlottesville, Va. 
I just love the exterior colors of her cottage in the woods!

I actually worked on her previous home several years ago 
when she lived in Richmond.
She's been following my blog ever since...
and knew that I travelled to Greenwood
quite a bit, which is just "down the road a piece." 
So she asked if I could come over and spend some time
"fluffing" her new home.
And I finally got over there this week.
And it was F U N!
 My assignment:  The living room.  
Here's the tour.
The front door leads into the living room.
On the wall to the left is a small bookshelf and a secretary desk.
(Directly in front is the entrance to the kitchen.)
 To the right of the door, 
behind this divider, 
is the living room.
Here you see the sofa which is backed up against 
that divider you just saw.
 She has a beautiful rug
but it's orientation totally splits the room.
At the end of the room,
a fireplace is flanked by two built-ins.
An antique rocker sits in front.
She is a potter and also collects pottery.
So she has many interesting pieces..
lots of artifacts from her travels,
and books.
 But she's having trouble displaying everything together. 
Whenever I work in a home, 
I like to peek around in the other rooms..
for "shopping" ideas...
Here is the eat-in kitchen area,
just off the living room.
 And if you continue, 
you run into this enclosed porch.
Right now, you just see the back of this chair…
and some speakers, etc, over in the corner.
 In one of the bedrooms, 
I make note of this rug...
And in the back of the master,
there's this antique settee...

Oh yes,
the wheels are turning.

And here it is, a  few hours later….

Well come on in!
Immediately you are hit with a zing of color from the rug..
…and the settee,
 which I placed on the wall where the secretary was.
Above it, I hung a fun circus art poster.
The angle of the ethnic rug pulls you over into the
living area…
And how sweet it is!
The sofa is on the wall that faces the front windows.
Beside it, 
I pulled in this funky boomerang table,
and added a potted plant in a Roseville vessel,
 and a miniature ceramic teapot.
 And notice the natural rug I stole from the eat-in kitchen area.
It fits the space much better!
(The oriental rug was moved to the master bedroom.
That's for another makeover day!)
 Over to the right, I placed the two chairs.
In between, a table and floor lamp.
I took one of the end tables and
slipped it in front and under the console table.
On the tabletop,
I added art and some pottery pieces.
Back to the left of the front door,
I placed the secretary.
The mantle clock is a family heirloom.
 And now, 
to the back wall…
 Left bookcase…..
Chocked full...
 …of amazing things..
 From all over the world.
 Here's the mantle.
Everywhere you look,
truly unique pieces…
unusual shapes…
wonderful colors...
 Here is the right bookcase…
teapot collection…
art...
family photos..
barnacles…
bark…
 More pottery and art..
Great art pieces adorn the wall above the sofa.
I think this living room is spectacular now!
I love mixing styles, like the victorian settee
and the mid-century sofa.
It's all so eclectic and REAL!!
 And I made a couple of other tweaks:
In the kitchen, I placed the rocker and small table.
 Perfect spot for an afternoon cup of tea!
In the back corner of the eat-in area,
I added one of the large vintage lamps
to this unique tabletop.
 The other lamp - and other end table - 
I put on the back porch. 
I angled the chair so you could still have a nice view...
 And added this dhurrie rug I stole from the basement rec room.
Well, my work is done for today.
But other rooms beckon me...
so I look forward to returning for more play time soon.
Thank you!
Love your home!

Have a room that needs fluffing??
SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
804-402-4370
sheilafox@aol.com

1 comment: