Thursday, July 23, 2015

Reinventing a Corner Cabinet: From Blah to WOW!!!!!!!!!

For the past two days,
I've been working on a sunroom makeover
for my client, Margaret.
It has kicked my butt!
I'm too tired to show you the whole thing,
so tonight, 
I'm just going to show you one piece
I transformed...
 This dingy green corner cabinet.
Margaret wasn't sure what she wanted,
so I suggested doing this in a similar treatment 
as another piece I had done for her.
This sweet little two tone cabinet that she uses for a TV stand.
So I'm ready to start this project.
Here's a great little tip:
Instead of a drop cloth, I used this old roller shade:
Just unroll it, leaving it on the roller...
 And after you're done, 
you can pick it up,
shake it off,
and roll it back up for the next project.
Clever, heh?
After sanding a bit, I began painting.
 I've used Annie Sloan Chalk Paints 
in Duck Egg and Old White.
 The next morning, hmmm, 
we're thinking
it might be too bland...

 So, I layered on some more paints to punch up the palette: 
Maison Blanche in Peacock, 
and I mixed some Old White with the Peacock to get various tones.
And I just continued dry brushing - 
just a little paint and a light stroke over the Duck Egg.
 So I've built up the patina to my liking,
and now it's time to wax.
 I used clear wax, and then added dark wax 
to the hardware, hinges, and crevices.
And then I cut out panels from a striped tablecloth
and stapled on the inside.
It hides all that clutter,
and adds even more color.
 Loving it!!!
 And tomorrow
you'll get to see the rest of this colorful makeover!
Can you stand it 'til then?????





No comments:

Post a Comment