Wednesday, April 29, 2015

An old footboard becomes….a HEADBOARD!

 I purchased this old footboard last summer
at an estate sale.
It spent the winter outside under a tarp.
 I'm finally getting around to it!!!!!
This is the original patina...
 Look at the carvings on each side……..
So many veneer issues, but I'm gonna work with it!!!!!
 Because it would be too short for a headboard, 
I cut off the old legs and used
scrap lumber to make supports on either side.
I used wood glue and screws to adhere.
 I then flipped it over and added another piece along the edge
so that the sides are the same thickness.
 I mixed up some Annie Sloan chalk paint - 
a close blue to the existing color,
and began to paint everything...
 All painted...
 Next, I dry brushed on some old white,
and used this wine cork...
 …to fill this hole on the side that's missing it's plug.
I just trimmed the cork and hammered it in.
 Next, I need to get all the loose pieces of veneer off…
I'm not going to worry about patching it.
I like the way it looks...
 Here it is after I've base painted...
And here it is after I've added some dry brushing.
Getting late, so have to quit for the night..
 
This morning, 
I continued my work by adding clear and dark waxes….
 Here you can see the difference the wax makes!
Those heads are so wonderful!!!!
 But I thought some dark hits of Napoleonic Blue might give it even more depth...
 Just a little bit here and there….
 to simulate an age worn patina...
 I'm not worried about the base because that won't show...
After buffing, you can see the lovely sheen.
Stunningly beautiful!
 
This is the part that will show.
I L O V E how this turned out.
 What sweet dreams one could have in this bed.
It's a double, 
It's for sale.
$225.








No comments:

Post a Comment