Wednesday, April 8, 2015

HOW TO UNIFY A DISJOINTED OFFICE

Sharon recently converted a bedroom in her home into a home office.
 She just had this L-shaped desk custom built, 
it's still raw wood.
She has a storage armoire for her printer & office supplies,
and to the right, she just had wall shelves installed.
On the opposite side of the room, she has a reading area with
this little table...
and above it, this dark wall mirror.

All the construction is done, 
and now she wants me to help give the room
 a more unified look.
While the wood putty on the desk dries,
I will first tackle the mirror.
I started by painting the frame in a base coat of
Annie Sloan chalk paint in Country Grey.
When dry, I dry brushed French Linen over it.
Before I waxed it, 
I used a wet rag to "wet distress".
I just lightly rubbed some of the edges to reveal the dark wood
beneath….And then I waxed with clear and dark waxes.
Now it matches the distressed wood look of the table top.
 
On to the desk...
 I sanded where I had puttied,
 and painted the desk and legs in three coats of
ASCP in French Linen. Then waxed.
 The armoire has wicker/rattan inserts, 
and since I knew they were going to really soak up the paint,
I first base coated everything in Country Grey.
 After that, I added two coats of French Linen.
On the wicker portions, 
I just dry brushed the French Linen over the base coat.
 Here it is after waxing and a tad of distressing.
See how the woven texture reads so nicely in the panels?
Had I covered the wicker entirely in the French Linen, 
it would read solid...
I think this is much more interesting.
 
Heck,
even Buddha….
 …got a makeover!
 He's back on his perch, 
atop the armoire.
 The room feels more cohesive now…
All the tones work together.
Enjoy your new office, Sharon.
Now get to work!

“A disciplined mind brings happiness.” The Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment