Sunday, January 18, 2015

Using discarded picket fencing to make Christmas Angels

Angels….
from recycled picket fencing….
I made a bunch last Christmas to sell…
Garden Angels that had names of flowers...
And my friend, Lisa, just posted this on Facebook. 
(She bought this one last Christmas for
her stepmother.
"Edelweiss" now lives in Charleston, SC!)

So this Christmas, 
I decided to come up with the next generation…
Christmas Angels…
I had a busy busy December, 
so I only made a couple.
But they were fun…
got my creative juices flowing.
(And made a huge mess in my kitchen!)

This year, I made them more of a mixed media creation
by adding scraps of fabric and jewelry and buttons.
So let me show you how they've morphed!
 First I painted the picket.
 I used craft paints and Sharpie paint markers to sketch on the face.
And for the body, I'm just making it one long Christmas tree.
 The horizontal pieces get angel wings...
 These are painted on canvas and glued, but usually, 
I just paint right on the wood.
 After painting,
 I start with the fun stuff!
Ornamentation...
 Fabric scraps for a scarf and headwear..
Buttons and beads and pieces of old necklaces
for the tree trimming.
Something's missing tho.
 Her hair!!!!!
Much better...
Meet "Kim."
 And this is "Tara."
 I glued red welting around the bases 
that I took off some old valances…
Beads, burlap, 
And a tag from canvas...
 A piece of brush fringe, 
a tassle and button make a funky headpiece.
They look rather "flapper-esque."

I wonder what next year's will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment