Sunday, January 4, 2015

Fighter Jet Themed Young Boy's Bedroom Makeover

Okay, 
Santa has finished the second surprise bedroom this Christmas.
Good thing, 
'cause the family arrives back tomorrow, 
and there's gonna be one excited 8 year old!!
This is Will's room. 
Will is ALL BOY
He loves camouflage,
fighter jets, 
planes, 
trains, 
and automobiles…….
Here's what the room looked like when I arrived:
As you walk into the room, 
directly in front is this Sheraton chest of drawers.
I'm going to paint this.
To the right is an empty corner where a futon
was just removed.
My assignment here is to find a desk and chair
for Will to do homework.
Mom has ordered some panels for the two windows,
a rug,
and a wall decal to put above the bed.
Let the makeover begin!
First up, the chest of drawers.
I used a custom mix of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
in Graphite, Old White, and a tad of French Linen
and Aubusson Blue.
Here it is after a second coat.
I spray painted the pulls with Krylon Satin Nickel.
 And here is the completed chest of drawers, 
all waxed, buffed, 
and the pulls back in place.
 On to the desk.  
I had this little mission style desk available in storage…
 Mom wanted to make the desk look industrial with rivets or bolts….
and I'm thinking a galvanized metal finish would be very cool!
I started by base painting in Annie Sloan Graphite.
 After drying, 
I started building layers of different acrylic paints.
Gun metal gray….
stainless steel….
metallic black...
 I tried to vary the brush strokes for each paint I used…
some I sponged on,
others I criss crossed with a brush.
I continued to build layers, 
allowing the paint to dry
in between layering.
The last layer I used was a wash of 
watered down silver metallic paint.
 I added these oversized nail heads 
down the vertical front slats.
This is looking SO AWESOME!!!!!!
Now…we need a chair.
 I found this sturdy little 2nd hand Ikea chair…
not quite the right motif, 
but I can fix that..
 I painted it with a bonding primer...
 Then painted the front and back 
in Benjamin Moore Brewster Grey.
Hmmm….
sort of boring..
needs something….
A thought…….
 Hand painted letters on the chair back!
 
Yes! 
This theme is happening now!!!!!!
After drying, 
I put a Polyacrylic sealer on both the desk
and the chair.
 A little brass desk lamp….
…gets a satin nickel finish as well.
 Will has a zillion toys……
mostly cars, trucks, planes and helicopters.
 I bought this shallow little display shelf recently 
thinking I could use it in my booth.
 It makes the perfect garage/heliport!!!!
A couple of military looking storage tins..
And time to bring in the textiles!
 Jet fighter rug!
 …and sheers...
Man, 
you're gonna need earplugs coming into this room!
 Final touch: One chopper wall decal…
…above camouflage bedding.
 Yep, I'm guessing someone's gonna be
pretty happy crawling in the sack tomorrow night!
Over and out!
Merry Christmas, Will!
And sleep tight.
Already, 
Santa's back at the North Pole!!!




2 comments:

  1. WOW....Very impressive! Great way to let others see your talent. Get out the calendar because I am sure you are going to be booked for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete