Saturday, January 17, 2015

Burlap Bags and French Ticking. A favorite combo for upholstery!

I love the lines of this petite wing chair.
 I sold it to a client, Kim, years ago, 
and she's been just waiting for it to tell her
what it wants….
 And it finally did...
 So goodbye gold brocade….
 I started this makeover by painting the legs
 in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite..
 Kim had purchased this striped linen 
from Decor Steals…….
(I liked it so much, 
I bought some too, but with blue stripes…)
So I used that for the front and the inside arms and wings.
In progress shot…..
 I used brass tacks and burlap trim on the seams.

 And for the back and sides,
I'm using these...
 Burlap coffee bean sacks…
writing and all…
 Burlap can be hard to work with, 
so I cut out canvas templates, 
and then cut out the 
burlap and glued it to the canvas.
 Then I glued them to the sides, 
and trimmed them in nails.
After doing both sides, 
I did the back in the same manner.
 I hot glued the burlap onto canvas backing, 
and then hot glued the canvas to the chair back,
and further reinforced with brass nails along all the edges.
 Close to finished!
 I also added brass tacks to the tops of each outside wing.


 Final touch: I gave the legs a dry brushing of metallic silver over the black,
to look like galvanized metal….
 I like the industrial look it adds.
All done and ready for pick up!!




No comments:

Post a Comment