Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Viv's Pastel Desk

My friend's daughter, Vivien,
 needed a desk for her schoolwork and laptop.
 I had this one
 that I had picked up at a yard sale this summer:
It had a funky shiny paint finish..
But it's very sturdy and has great storage:
Three shelves and a drawer for storage.
The shelves were supported by these wooden strips.
I had to secure them with screws at each shelf level.
 Then I gave it a good sanding, 
and it's ready to paint.
Viv, who is quite artistic like her mom, 
wanted the desk painted in "pastel purple and pale blue."
So I first mixed up a couple of chalk paint colors 
and painted in light blue.
Two coats later..
And I found this purple color in CeCe Caldwell's line,
"Enchanted Lilac."
I painted the top and just the edges in the lilac.
After the two coats dried, 
I used CeCe's "Endurance" finish to seal.
And I added a pewter drawer pull.
I also covered the screwheads with these oversized
pewter nail heads.
I like the industrial feel.
For a little more of an industrial vibe,
I added this portable top that I covered in
a brushed aluminum vinyl,
with nail heads all along the edges.
And I lined the inside of the drawer with a blueprint.
I think this little desk rocks!
I would never have thought of this palette..
and the industrial accents keep it from being too juvenile.
Vivien loves her new desk.
Here it is in her room, 
ready for homework.

Need a piece for your home?
I can probably find it.
SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment