Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A Couple of Freebies Get Beautified...

A new neighbor recently
gave me a couple of old pieces 
that he no longer wanted..
The first was this petite slant top secretary.
Cute, cute, but missing a leg...
 
And the hinged door was coming off...
 While I was in Greenwood this past weekend, 
I scrounged up enough supplies to work on it..
After reattaching the leg and slant top,
I painted the base in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
in Duck Egg.
 I used Old White for the drawers and legs.
 Sweet.
Inside, 
because it's so hard to paint in these slots and compartments,
 
I first spray painted the interior in a primer/paint in White.
After that dried, I used Old White on the 
areas I could reach.
After distress sanding all the edges,
I waxed with Lime Wax in Grey.
Inside the drawers, I cut cardboard pieces to size,
then covered them in a fabric remnant.
It's the cutest little thing ever.
It's in my booth at Greenwood Antiques and for sale at $225.
The other piece was this little primitive rocker.
Because I hate these country heart motifs,
I decided to upholster the little chair.
I cut plywood panels for the seat and front.
 I covered the plywood with batting and fabric, 
which I stapled to the back.
And because you would see through the heart in the back, 
I covered the back of the
plywood as well.
 At first I thought I would just keep the antiqued olive finish...
 But it was too drab, 
so I painted it in Duck Egg as well.
After waxing/distressing, I screwed in the panels,
and then added decorative nail heads over the screws.
It, too, is in my booth at Greenwood Antiques.
For sale at $55.

It makes me happy 
to save these little treasures…
So much life left in them!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370


No comments:

Post a Comment