Thursday, June 2, 2016

Junk Fly and Dad's Junk Drawers!!!!!!!!

I spent the past Memorial Day weekend in the country,
in Greenwood, with my Mom.
We always take flowers to my Dad's grave
for memorial Day.
He served in Korea, and like a lot of veterans,
carried the scars for the rest of his life.
And so he was greatly on my mind this weekend.
And I found the perfect way to "commune"
with him. 
I went to his junk drawers!
They are still there, filled with
the bits and pieces he accumulated
throughout his life.
A treasure trove.
So I played all day - using his stuff,
his tools........I loved every minute of it!
Take a look at what I created!
 I had an old newel post and some fan blades.....
they have been weathering 
on the side of my house for years.....
I screwed in the fan blades....
 Then I dry brushed on a combo of chalk paints 
in Old White and Peacock...
All this great weathered texture is accentuated
with the dry brush/wax technique.
 Then I waxed with dark wax.
Now for the fun part!!!!!
To the drawers!!!!!!!!!!
 I have no idea what this is............
 Antennae!!!
I hammered these on each side.....
An old fan belt.......
 Perfect for wings!!!!
Now I need to find something for the tail...
and something to hang him...
 These will do quite nicely...
 He's coming together!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I curled up some wire and attached to the 
thingamajigs on each side.....
But wait,
he can't SEE!

 OMG, perfect!!!!
I cut a golf ball in half........
Now he has eyes!
(I LOVE THIS PHOTO. 
IT MAKES ME LOL!)

 (BTW, have you ever cut open a golf ball?
This oozes out.......it looks like a creature being born!!!!
Tiny shreds of compressed rubber that pop out and expand...
they look alive.............pretty cool!)
He is finished!!!!!!
And flying high.
He is
JUNK FLY!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Dad, for a rocking playday!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

2 comments:

  1. Oh you made one out of his things It looks Awesome..
    . I wish i had my grand father things..Don't have them anymore...I use to love to look through that box of his....You will now have a piece of him watching over your mom and also you when you come up..I am sure he is so proud of you Sheila....And God Bless Him For Serving....

    ReplyDelete