Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Tavern Dining Room Chairs get some cheery new upholstery!


 My client, Inger,  lives in this incredible home in Ivy, Va., 
that once was a colonial tavern.
The checkerboard floors are painted and worn.
Oh, I love her house!
Her son is getting married this month, 
and she has a challenge: 
Two of these upholstered chairs that need a serious makeover!
In a hurry!
So here we go!
I had two yards of this fabric..
a play on needlepoint..
which I thought would be an interesting pick.
Inger really liked this fabric, 
but I only had enough for the chair front and seat.
 So we explored many other fabrics 
to see what we could use for the outside of the chair.
Nothing was working...
Nope..
The yellow maybe...
Ding ding ding!!!!!!!
I love the masculinity of the rich emerald green velvet
with the feminine whimsy of the other fabric!
I'm thinking nail heads!!!!!
So the fabric was purchased and I'm ready
to get going on these.


After deconstructing, 
I added extra batting to the seats and fronts.
And the upholstery begins........
I have absolutely NO fabric to spare on this,
so it's critical that I don't screw anything up!
Tense going...
but I got it done...
Next, I did the chair arms........
with the velvet.

And then the back.
Night is falling....losing light,
so I must stop for the day....
One is just about completed....
The work continues.
Dueling chairs.....
The details: I made self piping........
And added lots of bronze nailheads..
On the back, 
I used matching gimp along the edges.
Done...




I'm thinking these are going to really
brighten up that dining room!!!!!

I delivered them this past weekend.....
Mission accomplished!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Inger,
for the awesome project!!!!!!!!!!

Have a challenge?
SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have a challenge....I want my chair done in my living room....in an organge type fabric...deep orange with some red and other colors sort of like my other chair and foot stool you did....to blend. It is a hard chair to do but I just really want it done. I NEED YOU!!! Pleasssseeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete