Thursday, October 18, 2012

Trash to Treasure: Can this old console be saved?

My client, Sharon, had this old console in her storage shed...
right next to the lawn mower and tomato cages...
Someone had given it to her...She wasn't sure whether it was
worth saving, so she had me over for a consult.
 Are you kidding me? 
I LOVE this piece........
 Great columns on either side...
missing shelves but that's no problem...
 And the wood has some issues, 
but heck, I'm painting it so that doesn't matter...
Sharon wants to use the piece in her bedroom instead of a
chunky dresser that blocks the walkway.
 Great art nouveau rug.......love the colors and the
arts and crafts feel...
I suggested painting the piece in an off white and linen pallette.

Time to get cranking:
After cleaning and sanding the piece, 
I used my jigsaw to cut shelves.
Two on the right and one on the left. 
(You know how I hate symmetry!)

 I painted the piece in a two tone treatment of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint 
in French Linen and Old White.
 Here it is after distress sanding.
I lined the front of the door in this
Thomas Paul dragonfly print.
 Here it is all waxed and setup in Sharon's kitchen.
(I waxed it in her kitchen, so decided to stage it there 
for photos and so she can get the "wow factor"
when she comes home and sees it.)
 Great storage, 
and she can hide lots of icky stuff inside...
 And put all her treasures on display!
So functional, and beautiful. 
And just think,
it almost went in the trash!!!

 I loved setting it up so much,
I had to do it twice!

Looking forward to seeing where it ends up in your great home!
Thanks, Sharon.


No comments:

Post a Comment