Monday, October 15, 2012

"Dark Wood Syndrome": A Bathroom Makeover

Do you have a room in your house suffering from
"dark wood syndrome?"
 This was Sharon's guest bath when she called me in.....
And there was a lot of dark wood. 
Wood wainscoting...
Wood toilet top...
Wood shutters...
Wood vanity cabinet...
All the bath and light fixtures were polished brass.
Walls were yellow...
She'd be wavering for years about painting the beadboard. 
 Of course, I said yes, please!
The makeover begins!!!!
All the wood was primed.
I loved the old radiator and the feet of the clawfoot tub,
 but wanted to give them more pizzazz.
So I primed and then spray painted them both in
Rustoleum Hammered Brown.
Gorgeous.
Both light fixtures were replaced with oil rubbed bronze ones...
 ...more in the arts and crafts style.
..and to keep that style going,
I painted the vanity in a decorative style in greens and browns....
...and added appropriate hardware.
I removed the wood shutter which really blocked the light, 
and made a simple cafe curtain 
with this wonderful Thomas Paul tree print.
I hung it from rings onto a new rod, all oil rubbed bronze..


I painted the walls in Benjamin Moore Fernwood Green,
and all the wood in White Dove.
Doesn't this look oh so much better?
Above the tub, I hung some of Sharon's artwork.
New towels....
And you know me, I had to add a few fun accessories...
green glass vases...
Above the toilet, I hung this great little shelf, 
which I also painted in the same hammered brown
as the radiator and tub feet.

Are you ready?
BEFORE:
and AFTER:

Wouldn't you say this is a stunning transformation?
I definitely think it was the right decision.

1 comment: