Saturday, March 14, 2015

How to paint a clock face tabletop

I've seen this done so often, 
but never attempted it myself.
Until I purchased the perfect little table 
this week on Craigslist.
 Here's what it looked like when I purchased it.
 I started by sanding and painting the top
 in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Violet.
 After that, I painted a second coat, 
but used Louis Blue this time.
Here are my tools: 
Printed out clockface template, yardstick, carbon paper.
 I pieced together the smaller template and used in the center of the table,
then followed the lines to extend and know where to place the numerals.
 I enlarged and printed out the roman numerals…
And then, using the templates and carbon paper, 
 I traced the numerals all around the tabletop.
 I decided for now to keep the legs of the table in the oak wood, 
so I used French Linen to paint the numerals.
 It will help to pull out the wood tone of the legs 
and unify the piece.
After the paint was dry, 
I used a sanding block to smooth everything out
and distress the edges.
By sanding down the finish,
I "find" the deeper Old Violet color beneath,
which simulates age.
 Next, I waxed with clear and dark waxes,
and then buffed to a lovely sheen.
 Now it has character…
Perfect for a dinette area.
It's 40" across with leaves up, 
28" across with leaves down.
And for sale, at $165.
Let me know if you are interested.
I'll be hauling it to my booth at

No comments:

Post a Comment