Monday, July 14, 2014

Truly Trash to Treasure: Reusing Painted Canvases...

As I was walking through the alley one day….
…I came across several large rolled up canvases next to the trash.
Probably left by a VCU art student at the end of the school year.

 Not to be mean, but they were,
well...not so beautiful...
but….
I thought I could do something with them, 
so I took them home of course…

Take a look at what I've used them for….
so far….
I'm working on this great old sofa…
and I needed something to apply over the damaged caning on the back.
 So I used one of the truly ugly canvases (sorry…)
and cut to fit, then stapled along the caning edge.
None of it will show when I'm finished, and it 
made the perfect backing over which I applied foam and batting.
(This sofa is still a work in progress…
It's gonna be awesome when it's finished.)
Okay, so next, the "multi dot masterpiece."
I had to fight Dash off of it……he took a liking to it.
And my cat, Wilma, thought all the dots were bugs 
and she had a great time 
pouncing all over it trying to "catch" them..
(darn, no photo)

Take a look at how I used this canvas.
I took this old cabinet top...
 
,,,and this thrift store end table...

I painted the table in a wacky treatment with various chalk paints:
Greek Blue, a custom green, Paris Grey...
I wiped off paint as I applied...
After doing the same paint treatment to the top cabinet,
I cut out this piece of the canvas...

And used it to back the piece..
A little letter stenciling….
 
And some dots…
Are you seeing where it's going?
I added a little scalloped piece to the top, with a star hill
bottle top….
 
Tramp art console.
Great bar!!!!!
Is it furniture?
or 
Is it art?
Whatever it is, it's for sale
in my booth at Greenwood Antiques.
I continued "finding" little pieces of canvas and cutting them out...
 This piece I used to back a drawer 
that I turned into a jewelry hanger….
(man, this artist must have had some serious issues…)
 "Hang it up" was stenciled on the bottom….
Another piece gets framed….
And three little squares get glued on backings for a small triptych.
Quite the production line…
All in a day's play..
as SheShe, The Home Magician.









No comments:

Post a Comment