Sunday, July 20, 2014

Assembly Line Creation: This and That



Assembly line day...

On today's plate:
1) My client, Nancy, wants a montage of white items for a brown wall in her office.
2) My client, Bonita, wants a Lobster sign for one of her beach house bedrooms.
3) I have a couple other pieces…trash and yard sale finds….
that I might as well work on, while I'm at it..

So off to my garage for supplies.
And the assembly line gets cranking on the sidewalk.
 The purple pieces are wood from a shelf I took apart. 
I plan to use them for the sign.
The oval gold frame is a yard sale find.
On the left, a rectanglar gold frame.
Center, an old mirror frame I found in an alley...
Right, a strip of styrofoam insulation 
I'm going to use for the memo boards.
 Let's get this party started.  
Step one: I cut out inserts from the insulation to fit in the frames.
Step Two: Painting.
I'm using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White for all.

 Before of gold mirror.
After painting.
After waxing.
Montage ideas for the brown wall.
Before: Detail of gold frame.
 After painting.
After waxing and covering the styrofoam with fabric.
Close up of frame detail.
I used a remnant of this awesome Ralph Lauren striped fabric
that I purchased from Ufab ages ago.
These are going to really look great together.
On to the sign.
I hinged the two pieces of wood together 
by using metal plates on the backside.
Then I base painted in ASCP in Old White.
This is my reference for the lobster……
So I just freehand pencilled everything,
and then I used Sharpie Paint Pens, and chalk paint...
After completing the lettering and art,
I started adding layers of dry brushing:
brown, then black.
 Then I dry brushed over the colored areas with the tiniest bit of white...
It's getting there….

 Then I added some stain to further age the sign.
 And the final step, 
doing a little light sanding over everything with my orbital sander.
I think it's done!
But who knows….
tomorrow I might decide it needs something else...
And lastly, back to this piece.
I decided to use this for a jewelry storage piece.
I lined the holes with a Schumacher fabric sample.
On the left and right sides, I first stapled in chicken wire.

 That's for hanging earrings...
 And the center piece can be used as a memo board, 
or to hang necklaces, and hold pins.
Investment: Zero.
I love that!!!!!!!!
My work is done here.
Time for Masterpiece!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment