Friday, July 25, 2014

The Incredible Remake Of Holly's Cane Back Sofa

Today, I'm happy to report…
I finally finished this awesome sofa that Holly gave me.
It's been sitting in the middle of my dining room for weeks…….
half finished.
 Here's what it looked like when I gladly picked it up from her.
Beautiful cane backs, but they are torn.
 I actually love this fabric, but there's no way to salvage it……
I bet it was a beauty in its day!
 The process begins: After I ripped off all the piping, 
I painted the wooden frame in ASCP in French Linen.
 I love the dart and egg molding on the bottom front...
After distressing, and waxing the painted frame,
I began the upholstery by covering the back cane inserts 
with this pleated oatmeal linen.
 I fabric glued this over the cane, and then along the edges.
I left the cane intact because it will give more support.
 Okay, the back is finished. That was the easy part!
I showed you in an earlier blog how I used a piece of canvas to cover the front.
Then I added a layer of batting to the front and bottom, stapling along the edges.
 I used a Pottery Barn thick linen drape for the upholstery…….
After cutting and stapling along the edges, 
I used a natural gimp to cover all the staples.
So the base is now complete.
So lovely and neutral.

And today, 
I finally covered the cushions.

I purchased this fabric a couple years ago from Ufab, 
and have been saving it for the right project.

I think this was it!
These cushions actually have springs in them,
as does the base of the sofa.
So there's plenty of support.
It's a great little sofa.
And..
It's finally out of the dining room!
And packed up in the car,
...ready to go to Greenwood Antiques & Uniques in the morning.
Price: $625.

There's still time to pull it off the truck if you're interested!
I've thought about it myself.
It's hard to say goodbye to this one!
Thank you Holly!!


No comments:

Post a Comment