Wednesday, April 16, 2014

In the Mood for Some Blues

Okay, yesterday I was "in the pink."
Today I'm back to my normal color palette: Blues!

Trying to finish up some last minute pieces 
before I pack up the car and head to the booth.

Here's today's work:
 Although it may look like an old brass/bronze framed mirror,
 It's actually weathered plastic…….
it's been up on my rooftop deck for ages.
 I first painted it in ASCP Old white…
then added splotches of pale blue, 
 ….and just a hit of turquoise here and there…
to simulate age...
 And then I applied clear and dark waxes.
 It looks like it's been weathered for years,
 and I much prefer the shabby finish vs. the "old world."
 I purchased this little cellarette from an antique store.
I loved the detail on the front door, and the turned legs, but the finish is boring.
 Now it looks like a true antique
with lots of paint layers and washes.
 I experimented on the top with creating a faux woodgrain...
 I used graining tools after painting on a wash of ASCP in Graphite over the existing finish.
 I dry brushed layers of Aubusson Blue, Paris Grey, Graphite...
 ..and used lots of dark wax in all the crevices and edges.
I'm thinking this might need a tad more dark blue.
so i'll look at it again when it comes out of the car tomorrow..
 …a little thrift store wooden frame gets a deep blue distressed finish.
I have surely been into these layered finishes of late…
When I return from the Easter holiday, 
perhaps I'll stretch my wings and try something totally different...
 I also was able to finish these upholstered seats for my client's porch.
 I painted all her outdoor furniture awhile back, and found this great
rug.
 This fabric goes perfectly.
I love the tomato red edging.
Welcome to the islands!
For now, this little fox is tuckered out!

No comments:

Post a Comment