Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Chair Rehabs: Custom Upholstery and Paint Jobs

Hoping everyone had a lovely Easter…
I did lots of work over the long weekend on my mom's carport...

Here are a couple of chair rehabs I did for clients:
 Here's a chair one client had attempted to redo, 
but, well, it just wasn't working...
( Here's inspector Wilma giving it the once over...
 Yep, everything is in order and ready for a makeover..
Wilma Approved!)
The chair still had part of its original
colonial styled upholstered skirt…
and a couple of homemade cushion covers.
I starting by removing all the fabric………
and a zillion staples…
(Sometimes the deconstruct takes as long as the rehab!)
 …sanded down the unfinished edges……...
…glued back some popping veneer..
 I painted the chair in two coats of ASCP in Paris Grey.
 Then I distress sanded and waxed everything.
I rebuilt the seat with new batting…...
 And upholstered the seat with this tobacco/indigo striped linen.
I used gimp to cover the staples, 
and added a few oversized pewter nail heads
for a little glam….
For the back cushion, I used some old printed burlap for the front,
…and the same striped fabric for the back.
The back cushion can be flipped…
Two looks in one!
 Another client delivered this family heirloom, 
a caned rocker in disrepair.
She had seen some headboards in my booth that
I had upholstered in this botanical fabric.
I had just enough left to use for the chair.
 I removed all the damaged caning from the back. 
I painted the chair frame in two coats of ASCP in French Linen.
 I lined the back with burlap.
I flipped the chair over, adding a layer of batting, 
and another burlap liner to the front.
Then I planned out the lay of the fabric, 
folded over the edges and stapled.
 I used gimp to cover all the edges.
 Oh, I forgot to show you the distressing/waxing part…….
See how the detail pops in the chair top?
After using clear wax, 
I added some dark in the details and to the edges.
Then buffed everything to a sheen.
Then I upholstered the back in the same way.
Stapled…then glued gimp along the edges.
 Back view.
 And finally, 
I added foam and batting over the existing cane seat,
 and then upholstered the seat.
The finished rocker. 
Such an improvement.
My favorite part of this chair…
the bugs!!!!
(Better not let Wilma see this one...
She loves a bug!)

2 comments:

  1. That botanical has amazing graphic appeal! I love scrolling down and how all the hard work is "done" so magically!! You are amazing. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it looks so easy, doesn't it? Sometimes, it about kills me. But I love the tangible results!!!!!!!! Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete