Thursday, September 27, 2012

Teenager's Bedroom: Mismatched Bookcases Become a Set

Here's a project I just completed last week for a new client.
It was a very unique assignment and I loved doing it!
The setting: Teenage daughter's room.
The mission:
Paint two mismatched bookcases to look like a pair.

This one was to the left of a fireplace...
...and this one was to the right.
Between them, was this awesome fireplace.
On the other side of the room was the bed with this comforter.
 So....
what color would you have painted them?

The client was thinking perhaps white with a dark taupe,
and suggested removing the glass doors to the one cabinet 
to make both pieces look alike.

But I was thinking color.....
and I couldn't stop thinking about this gorgeous tile
in the fireplace surround.
It would be nice to play off that.

This is when it is really helpful for me to take photos.
I then return home and study them to determine a plan.
In this case,
I thought an intense greek blue would be beautiful on the bookcases,
to pull out the blue in the surround....
but the bedding was a total disconnect.

I also suggested, instead of just painting the interiors,
that perhaps we could line the backs of the bookcases in fabric or wallpaper.

So I took a trip to the fabric store,
and found these two options 
that I thought would work with the two key elements;
The fireplace tile and the bedding.



We ended up with this one.
 Great choice! 
The blues and greens from the fireplace tile are here, 
as well as the browns and pinks from the comforter.
Time to get to work.

I started by painted the exteriors of both cabinets in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Greek Blue.
Inside I primed and painted in Benjamin Moore White Dove.
Next I lined the back of this one with the fabric selection.
I purchased  large milkcrate baskets to hold clothes on the shelves behind the doors.
And added smaller baskets and books for the display shelves.
On this one, instead of removing the doors, 
I just made little gathered panels to go on the inside of the glass.
Rod pockets on the top and bottom hold dowels.
Inside, a special surprise: 
A little makeup/vanity area, complete with shelf,
mirror, hooks....
...and at the top, a battery operated LED light.
How perfect. 
(It also automatically shuts off after 30 mins.)

I waxed and buffed both exteriors.
They look great.

We brought up a chair from the basement to recover, 
and I added a footstool I recently reupholstered.
We've come a long way, baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment