Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Alley Find: Move over, Restoration Hardware!

On my walk this yesterday morning, 
I veered off onto the alley behind West Ave, 
and spied this ugly-ass Ikea looking chest of drawers.....
Obviously this had been someone's funky apt. decor project.........

But I saw potential.  Besides, it was F R E E.
So I went back with the car and hauled this thing home.
 After painting the base and drawers in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Greek Blue, 
I ran to Lowes and purchased these steel casters 
which I screwed onto each corner of the bottom.
 Next, I brushed on MinWax stain in Jacobean...then wiped it off.
While at Lowes, I had looked for some chunky cup pulls,
but found nothing.
So over in the gate hardware section,
I found these galvanized zinc industrial pulls.
They're perfect!
And less than $4 each.
So I screwed those in.

 Now to address the top....
Actually, I didn't address the top 
because all along I was planning to upholster the top 
with this canvas printed rug I got on sale at  HomeGoods.....
and make this piece into a window seat.
And then........
I had an epiphany.
Why the hell am I going to mess with this top?
This top is BRILLIANT.  
Urban graffiti art in all its glory!
 I sanded it down a bit, 
and finished the top off with a stain layer.
It's a frigging masterpiece, I tell ya!
And it's already in my living room, full of crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment