Friday, June 29, 2012

Repurposing bed slats

Yesterday I wrote about using an old Ikea headboard along with some fencing to make an awesome new turquoise headboard.

Today, I want to show you what else I made from that one old craiglist Ikea bed.
Ikea beds have a double slat system 
and the slats are connected with strips of tape stapled to the backs.

First i dry brushed painted the slats with various cool tone paints..........
I cut the strips leaving three connected, then the next three, etc.
and secured them to the backs to hold the slats together.
And then I stenciled on letters:
 For this one, I actually printed out the type from my computer.  
I rubbed the back of the paper with graphite, 
and then traced the letters onto the wood, and then painted them.
 Another stenciled with a little boat drawing... 
(I think it's pretty obvious this was freehand..)

 Greenwood, Va.  My home town....
I put this one in my booth at 
Greenwood Antiques and Uniques.
But THIS one is my favorite!!!!!!!!! 
Used an old shoe last and some hooks..........



2 comments:

  1. Those old shoe lasts are so cool. Glad you could find a good way to display this one! Creative girl.... Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE! ~Kimmie

    ReplyDelete