Friday, March 4, 2016

Using Old Fencing for Reclaimed Tabletop

Here's another project I finished this past week 
while I was in Greenwood.
I found this table some time ago in an alley.
It has a piece of door for the top.
I added casters so it rolls,
and have been using it as a worktable since.
But it's time to get this off my mom's carport!
So I removed the top.
I'll save that for another project….
And here's the base.
I picked up this old fencing from my mom's neighbor.
It's in pretty rough shape….
 But after some intense sanding,
the beauty of this wood is revealed.
Here's a side by side comparison.
I screwed the boards to the base.
 And then I measured and cut off both sides. And sanded.
 Wow! This is looking amazing.
One side had these two holes...
 I found a piece of scrap lumber…
 Next, I painted the base in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite.
Afterwards, I waxed with dark wax,
 and added the piece to hide those holes.
 And here it is in my booth at Greenwood Antiques & Uniques.
(I wanted to add some hooks or pulls to make that front piece
look like a drawer, but I didn't have any hardware with me.
I'll do that on my next trip, 
unless it sells first.)
This would make an awesome kitchen island! 
The rustic, natural wood top is really set off by the dark base.
For sale: $265.
It needs to find a big old farmhouse to live in!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment