Thursday, March 10, 2016

Reveal of The Ugly Leather and Chenille Chair Makeover: "Papa Bear" becomes "Mama Bear" Chair

Remember this chair?


 The thing had not one but TWO ROWS of nail heads.
After spending about 20 minutes removing about 10,
I decided I had to come up with some plan to redo this chair…
without having to remove those nail heads!
I painted the ornate wood frame in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Country Grey,
and then French Linen….
.And I decided to paint the leather with the Country Grey
as well.
 This normally works fine and after sanding and waxing,
the leather feels buttery smooth.
 But in this case, the seat had wrinkles in the leather that I just couldn't get out.
So I had to come up with another plan.
By padding the front, and then upholstering, I could avoid taking out 
the nail heads on that part.
I've decided to use this fabric.
And for the seat bottom, this.
 And here's how I got around removing all those nails!
I took a utility knife and cut the leather just above the painted nail heads.
 Then I was able to "scalp" the seat..
 To leave just the foam and batting.
 I continued with upholstering the chair seat and front.
Pulling tight, and stapling
along the edge just above those nail heads.
 Then I trimmed the excess.
 I kept the leather arms because they were beautiful.
Here you can see a detail of the wood frame after I waxed it.
Now I'm ready to do the back.
  I'm going to use an old coffee sack.
I like this one because the logo art mimics the zebra print of the fabric.
I pulled tight, turned under the edges and stapled.

 Then I glued this gimp to cover all the staples 
along the seat
and back.
 
I finished off with some oversized pewter nail heads
to reinforce the edges…..
 And this baby is done.
 It's packed up in the car 
and going to my booth at RVA Antiques on the Avenue 
for tomorrow's Grand Opening……..
$289.
Hope you can make it!!!!!!!!
5:30 to 9pm tomorrow night
and 10-2 on Saturday.

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment