Saturday, March 19, 2016

Black and White and Red All Over: Another Pair of Vintage Chairs for Sale

I've sold several pieces in my booth 
so today I needed to come up with some inventory to restock!
 I decided to tackle this pair of cane back chairs........
I didn't mind the red leather seats, 
or the black distressed finish.
 But the cane backs were in bad shape.
One was torn, so I knew I would have to reinforce it
before doing anything.
 So remember the leather seat I "scalped" from this arm chair 
I made over recently?
 It was the perfect material!!!!!
I stapled it along the edge of the cane on the front.
 Then I trimmed.
 I added two layers of batting and 
then covered in this graphic fabric remnant.
 Next I added this red trim to cover all the staples.
I hot glued it, and my fingers are still hurting........
(Careful with the high temp glue guns, folks!!!)
 Next it was time to address the backside.
I used a roll of paper...
 And cut out a template of the exact shape.
 I traced the shape on cardboard, 
cut it out...
 And covered the cardboard with this burlap sack.
I just hot glued all the edges to the inside.
And then I glued the cardboard to the back of the chair,
over the torn caning.
I edged the back in this striped trim.
Here's the front, with a couple of nail heads added.
I love the graphic nature of these...
red, white and black.
Not my normal color palette,
but it's nice to mix things up a bit.
The second chair was a bit easier because the
cane wasn't broken, so it wasn't necessary to reinforce it.
 I added batting, covered, and then added the trim.
And more nail heads, of course....
 I cleaned up the leather seats really well before reattaching them.
They aren't perfect but almost!
 (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)
Here is the pair in my booth at 
The pair is for sale at $175.
(And that stunning china cabinet
with granite top is $415.)
Back of second chair - 
I did a slight variation.......
using the remainder of the burlap coffee sack.
I think they make a nice pair.

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment