Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Redesigning Functionality of a Set of Vintage Chrome Chairs

Sometimes functionality is more important than cosmetics.
Here's a good example:
My client, Despa, 
had a set of vintage chrome chairs 
in her eat-in kitchen.
She loved the chairs, 
but the cushions were driving her nuts.
 The current cushions 
had tabs to attach to the frames,
but because of the curvature of the back and seat,
they weren't sufficient to keep them in place.
They kept slipping and sliding.
Plus they desperately needed recovering.
Now, I loved seeing the architecture of the chrome frames,
but what was important to Despa was
comfort and stabilization.
So I decided to upholster them.
 First, new denser foam was cut.
Next, I used thick batting
 which I cut and covered over the foam.
 With heavy upholstery thread
I actually sewed the batting all along the edges 
to secure to the chair frame.

 
Once all the foam was covered 
and the batting was secured,
 I started covering the chair in this fabric I selected from Ufab.
I used the same process, 
but this time I secured
the fabric to the batting.
 
Bottom.
 (Test pilot at work.)
 (Yep, approved for comfort.)
Geez...
Here is the first one finished and ready to load up.
(I"ll have Despa check this out to make sure she's happy
before continuing with the rest of the chairs.)
 
Oh, and on the back, I used gimp to finish off the edges
and hide the hand stitching.
 I got a big thumbs up!
And here is the finished set in Despa's kitchen.
Much more user friendly
for daily kitchen use.
And the integrity of the chairs wasn't damaged….
those great chrome lines are still under there,
whenever design becomes more important!

Have a piece that needs revamping?
Perhaps I can help!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment