Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Instant Makeover for a French Bergere Chair: Painting Upholstery!!!!

I just love a bergere chair!!!!!
I purchased this one a couple of months ago on Craigslist.
I love the size and shape of this chair, 
and the fabric is also in great shape.
It's just, well, not me………
So I've had intentions of reupholstering it one day.  
For now, it's been living in my bedroom.

Yesterday, while I was out and about doing a little retail therapy, 
I ran across some fabric paint that was on sale for $1.99 a tube.  
I've painted vinyl upholstery before with chalk paint with very good results, 
but I've never used fabric paint on fabric.
So this was a first for me.
Well, take a look!
For a $6.00 investment and a couple hours later, 
I have an awesome, gorgeous, white bergere chair!!!!!!
This paint was amazing.  
(I'm still wearing some on my hand.
It's VERY hard to get off….)
 I didn't wet the fabric or anything, 
just vacuumed and started painting.
 It was very easy to use, and covered well.
 This is just with the first coat.
 At first I thought I would just paint the chair, 
and use a white fabric to cover the cushion,
but then I decided what the heck: 
If I hate it, I can recover it.
 And here it is with two coats.
The cushion painted up great as well!
Here's the back.
The paint definitely stiffens the fabric, 
and while I probably wouldn't want to use it on a den chair, 
this is going to work great for an occasional boudoir chair.
 I took it outside and added a coat of wax to the fabric
which definitely took the roughness away.
I think it will also prevent cracking.
Then I buffed.
The fabric feels like a heavyweight cotton duck.
I also used a little Howards Restore-a-finish in Dark Walnut
on the wood frame.

It's beautiful!!!!!
Best $6.00 I've ever spent.






No comments:

Post a Comment