Monday, March 10, 2014

How to make a dresser into a desk!

Here's what I tackled this weekend, and might I say, 
my body still hurts.
But it was a fun assignment. 
And different!
 It started like this:
My client, Robin, had this old dresser 
that belonged to her grandmother who just passed away.
It was a very sturdy piece, just not in the best cosmetic shape….
rather beat up around the base..
And the top was in disrepair…….
But it held sentimental value for Robin. 
However, she didn't need a dresser….
What she needed was a desk, 
and she asked if I might be able to convert it.
Well, heck yeah!
Step One: Remove the drawers.
 Step Two: 
Get a very nice neighbor 
with a sharp handsaw to do the hard work!
(Thank you, Ken!)
 Here's what's left of the dresser after removing the three interior drawers
and frames.
 Step Three: I removed the base molding, 
and shored up the bottom bases with plywood.
Step Four: I cut and nailed bead board to the inside sides and back.
 Here it is at the end of Day One,
back inside for the night:
 Day Two:
Back to it!
I removed all the drawer hardware and
sanded down all the surfaces.
 I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite 
to paint all the drawers and the base.
 Drawers after two coats.
 Next, the top.  I used an orbital sander 
which took all that nasty stuff off and revealed
the beautiful wood.
Here's the piece with the top sanded, 
and everything painted.
 Next I stained the top with Minwax in Special Walnut.
 And here's the piece after all the waxing, buffing, and gilding, 
and the original hardware returned to the drawer fronts.
 Looks fanTAStic!
 Inside, you can see more of the distressing and gilding.
And also the patina of the painted wood, which is not a true black.
It's more of a charcoal and has lots of depth with the waxes I used.
I brushed King Gold gilding wax on some of the edges and details…..
Here you can see the distressed edges. Note the rope trim I added to hide the seams 
where the bead board was nailed to the sides.

Ready for pick-up!!!!!
Thanks, Robin.
That was fun!
And such a clever way to utilize this family heirloom!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Magnificent She! You've got it going on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous piece. I will keep you in mind for any projects I may have, as I live in Richmond, too!

    ReplyDelete