Sunday, January 19, 2014

Simulated Verdigris Patina on a Chandelier and Frame

I love distressed turquoise, 
and I love verdigris patina, 
that wonderful thing that happens in nature 
when copper is oxidized……
However, I have zero patience, so sometimes, 
I must take matters in my own hands!
 I've been admiring this lilly pad chandelier lately 
in a fellow dealer's booth at Greenwood Antiques and Uniques.  
Not that I needed a chandelier. 
I just needed to transform it!
So now it's mine…….
 It has great leaves………
that look like lilly pads…
Sort of Arts & Crafts/Art Nouveau inspired, 
but I wasn't digging the paint...
 From Day 1, I saw this in a verdigris patina, 
so here's how I transformed it:
I first mixed up a combo 
of Annie Sloan chalk paints
in antibes green/greek blue…
I dry brushed on layers, 
splotchy is okay.
Then I added a little Old White to the paint mix, 
and continued dry brushing...
 Next, I took some turquoise spray paint, 
sprayed it in a little dish, 
and then with a chip brush, 
I continued the dry brush technique.
See how I'm "building" the patina?
 The final step is staining. 
I used a dark Minwax stain, Jacobean, 
and brushed it on,
 then with rags, wiped off excess.
 The stain accentuates all the "leaf lines" and details.
 Here it is all finished. 
It's for sale in my booth. 
$98.
This technique also works great 
with gold detailed frames, 
such as this one I got at a thrift store.
Just dab/dry brush color here and there, 
and after it dries,
add the stain, and then wipe off.
I also added a tad of King Gold gilding wax 
here and there.
Framed art: $45

Now get out there and play!!

No comments:

Post a Comment