Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Eclectic Makeover: Using Men's Suits to Upholster a Set of Dining Room Chairs

This might just be my favorite make-over of the year….
and it's only January 8th!
My client, Patty's, daughter & her boyfriend were moving 
into their very first house right after the new year.
Isn't this the sweetest house you've ever seen?
I just love a yellow house. 
(I have one.)

For Christmas, 
Mom & Dad wanted to give them a set of dining room chairs, 
but just wasn't sure exactly what they wanted.
I happened to have this set of chairs in my storage unit 
awaiting a future makeover.. 
Presently, they are covered in a gold vinyl with a zillion nail heads. 
(I know this because I removed every single one of them!)

Since we weren't exactly sure of direction- 
and didn't want to spoil the surprise by asking-
we decided I would do just one chair as a prototype 
to put under the tree for Christmas. 
And then after Christmas, I would finish them up, 
change, whatever, based on their direction.
 BEFORE chair.
 Step one: 
Yep, remove all the nail heads.
 I sanded, primed and painted the chair 
in Benjamin Moore Stone Harbor.
 Next, I distress sanded. 
Here's a close up.
 Next, I brushed on a mixture of stains, 
and then wiped off the excess.
See the difference in the finish after the stain?
Now….for fabric.
We didn't want to get too "frou-frou" with the fabric, 
since it was a "his and her" gift.
I went to some thrift shops 
and purchased several men's wool suits.
 I used these to upholster...
 …the seat...
 …the back...
 …and the front….
different fabrics for each area.
Pockets, buttons, and all.
Afterwards, I added gimp along the chair front,
with a couple of the nail heads I had salvaged.
 And on the back, for another "twist," 
I used the lining of one of the suits for edging.
 The front pocket is the perfect place...
..for a Christmas tag!
Here it sits under the tree on Christmas morning…
They LOVED it.
So after Christmas, 
I finished the other three chairs.
 Assembly line painting...
 The arm chair...

 …and the last two.
 I think this is my favorite one. 
I even used the "Harris Tweed" tag and lining pocket.
 Each is totally different
but together they make such a statement!
And the backs...
 So fun!
And here's their new home….
with this wonderful old tiger oak table.
A totally unique dining room for a totally unique couple!!
Congratulations
and pass the potatoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment