Thursday, July 26, 2012

Romantic Pink Bedroom Makeover

My friend and client, Daisey, and I are kindred spirits.
We share the same birth sign, Cancer.
We both share a background in advertising production; I was in broadcast, and Daisey, print.
We both enjoy red wine....(and we have, on numerous occasions!)
And we're both very domestic and love our homes.  
It's important for us to have our little sanctuary, our safe place, to retreat to.
So when Daisey asked for my help with her master bedroom, I beamed.
She didn't want an extensive rehaul, just some sprucing up.
I wanted to make this room a special haven, all sweet and comfy for her!!!!
Take a look at where it all began:
As you walk into the bedroom, you see the side of the bed.
Across from the bed, is a double door frame into Daisey's large dressing area.
She has open bookcases and clutter that is destroying her tranquility!!!
 To the right of the doorframe, she has a dresser and a vanity. 
 Because of the dark furniture, 
it feels like all the weight is over on this side of the room.
And here again, is the bed, photo taken from the double doorway.
At the foot of the bed is a cedar chest. 
The only window in the room is dressed with a chintz swag.
 My first recommendation was a headboard, and a rearrangement of furniture.
Since space is at a minimum in this room, I suggested a headboard, and no footboard. 
 In a previous blog, I showed you the headboard I revamped, from this...
To this....I painted the bed in Annie Sloan Old White chalk paint, 
and then upholstered the bed in a pink and white pinstripe. 
I found new bedding...
..and new light ruffled curtains that replaced the dated window treatment. 
I positioned the bed on the other side of the room, at an angle,
so that it is now the focal point as you enter.
It opens up the room dramatically. 
To the right of the bed, I put the vanity.
I found this little victorian parlor chair...

And reupholstered it in the same pinstripe, 
and added trim.

The tri-mirrors on the vanity, and the open chair back
 keep the space from feeling too heavy.
Across the room, where the bed was originally, I placed the tall
chest of drawers, 
and to the right of that, against the wall, I placed the cedar chest.
 Pillows atop, and it becomes a mock window seat.
I hung this original art found in another room above the chest.
It's nice to have a little pop of yellow.
 Back to the bed...I first tried hanging sheers behind the bed, but it wasn't
providing the privacy Daisey wanted. Also, a lot of light
comes in from the back dressing room/porch.
 So I came up with this idea: I hung a duvet cover from a rod
above the doorway. No sewing required!
 I simply hung it from clips, so it's easy to open when Daisey wants the walkway clear...


 And easy to close when she wants complete privacy.
 I love the new quilt and shams with Daisey's existing ruffled pink sheets.

This is the sweetest little bedroom.
Sweet dreams, Daisey!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Fabulous makeover. You certainly reflected Daisey's femininity and flair. There can be nothing BUT sweet dreams in this sweet room!

    ReplyDelete