Thursday, July 19, 2012

Planning a client's move to a smaller home

I have been working with a client and friend, Nancy, 
who is planning a big change in her life!
She is moving from a large home out in the boonies -Studley, VA, 
to be exact- to a condo in the fan of Richmond.
So exciting!!!!

Nancy is a smart cookie...VERY organized....
She knows when she needs help, 
and she's very methodical about the process.
So she brought me in WAY BEFORE the move 
to help her determine what pieces she wants to keep, 
what she needs to purchase, what can be rehabbed, etc.
First, I go with Nancy to the new condo.
Here's Nancy in her new pad.
(These furnishings belong to the previous owner.)

Nancy and I went room by room, discussing layout, function,etc.
For instance, this home has no formal dining room, 
just a small dining area as part of the living room.
So it was important to find something that would make sense
in her new space.  
And we did - I found an awesome
dropleaf gate leg table on craigslist (similar to this one) that will work perfectly.
It can act as a console table when not being used for dining...
and when she has dinner guests, it can be opened up for adequate seating.

Next, let's move down to the bedrooms.
Here's the master bedroom.  
We discuss furniture, window treatments, pillows, etc. 
After seeing the wall color and space,
 it will be so much easier for me to do a fabric/furniture search.
Here's the bath. Peekaboo! 
I always take lots of photos for reference later.
Definitely need some storage.
Check out the spiral staircase to the bottom floor!
Downstairs is a whole 'nother world!
Office/den space, full bath and private bedroom.
Amazing!
Okay, so next up, we go to Nancy's existing home, 
and go room by room to see what we can use,
what we would rather see replaced, etc.
Here's the sofa......I would REALLY love to find something lighter in style and color 
and less masculine and bulky...I'll keep an eye out..
Media cabinet. Ugly but functional and I can definitely
make this look better! Keep.
Cute little storage cabinet. Keep. I'll paint.
Nancy wants to possibly use this cedar chest as a bench in her
billiard room....or maybe we can use in the guest bedroom 
as a mock "window seat" with cushion. Keep.
Not liking the look of these, but they are quite comfy.
As my friend Patty Anne can attest to. And they swivel.
Keep. I'll reupholster.
This sweet little chair was Nancy's grandmother's, so she
definitely wants to redo this for her bedroom. Keep.
This sweatshirt....definitely NOT going....chuckle..
So, let's get started on some transformations!!!!! Remember this?
I painted it in a combo of Annie Sloan Chalk Paints in Old White for the outside...
And versailles on the inside.
I found these chunky porcelain/brass handles at Hobby Lobby.
This is going to the left of the fireplace in the new living room 
to hold all the AV equipment...
 
I diligently checked craigslist daily for a sofa replacement, and look what I found!!
 
This amazing Restoration Hardware sofa in belgian linen.
Oh my god, this is going to look SO great in Nancy's new living room!!!

You'll have to stay tuned for the final makeover....













No comments:

Post a Comment