Wednesday, July 13, 2016

How to save a chair with a missing cane seat.........

 My friend, Caroline, gave me this chair.
I love the lines. 
But the cane seat was completely gone.........
 The cane back was intact and the chair otherwise was in lovely condition.
 First I used a piece of thin plywood which I nailed to the frame..
 Then I used my miter saw to cut several pieces of sturdy lumber.
I screwed them to the frame and over the plywood..
(Now if you had a piece of sturdy plywood, 
you could forgo the lumber and just cut to fit,
and screw on.
I'm working here at my mom's,
so I always have to use
"what I can find."
It's part of the creative challenge.)
Next, I used a thick foam remnant, 
and this ugly polarfleece throw
to cover the foam.
(Again, using what I can find folks!)
 I stapled the fleece throw to the sides after pulling taut.
 Now, it's ready to reupholster with the real fabric!
I have several Schumacher fabric samples to choose from...



 Lots of times, I simply take photos, and then review.
This usually tells me which to go with.
 This lovely weight of linen won out..........
I stapled and trimmed the edges.
Then I used this beige gimp to hide all the staples.
 A few antique bronze nail heads to reinforce the corners,
and it's all done.
 Sturdy, substantial and plump. And pretty!
It's for sale in my booth at Greenwood Antiques & Uniques. $139.
Don't throw it away!
Fix it!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment