Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Two Chair Makeovers: Victorian to Western Chic and French Provencial to French Country

If you know me by now, 
you know I just love a chair makeover.
I'm always on the lookout for chairs to redo.
Here are two I finished this past weekend:
 Victorian style frame with vintage flamestitch fabric…
I purchased this from RVA Antiques.
Love that place!!!
 Yeah, yeah, I know the wood is nice…
 But I'm painting it!
After ripping off all the edging,
I painted a base coat in chalk paints: 
Maison Blanche Peacock
mixed with a little Annie Sloan Old White.
 After that dried,
 I dry brushed on some Annie Sloan Paris Grey.
 Particularly over the detailed areas.
 This looks pretty rough now but just wait.
 After drying, I sanded lightly
and then added waxes: 
Clear and dark.
Painting in different colors takes on a wonderful faux aged patina
after adding the dark wax.
 Once the frame dried and was buffed,
I proceded to the upholstery...
 I love this faux cowhide I purchased from U-Fab.
I pulled taut, stapling around edges, then trimmed excess.
 On the bottom edge, 
I fabric glued striped trim to cover the staples,
and then added antique brass nail heads.
 After the seat was completed, 
I moved to the front and back..
 I used gimp to finish off these areas.
 And again added antique brass nail heads in the corners.
 It's finished!
$335.
Love the unexpected combo of turquoise
and cowhide!!!!!!!!
Moving on to chair number two:
This was a tufted blue velour french provincial
style chair purchased at an estate sale.
Has the classic french provincial painted wood finish:
Yellow with specks of brown/gold.
Blech.
 
I painted the frame in Paris Grey.
And added lots of dark wax to age it.
 First up, the seat cushion.
 I kept this simple. 
No piping.
I used this striped ticking fabric
I purchased online from Decor Steals.
 Now it's time to rip apart the chair.
So I can put it back together…
I removed all the buttons from the chair front,
added polyfil in the holes,
then batting to the front, and stapled
an undergarment of white muslin.

The seat, I covered with this blue and white striped ticking.
I can make a mess!

Next on to the arms/sides.
Losing light, so I'll have to wait to finish..
I used the same striped fabric 
on the back and outside arms.

Now it's finished except for the trim!
I used a long strip of the fabric - the striped part -
 and folded back/glued the edges,
and used this to trim out the front and sides.
I glued along the raw edges to cover the staples,
and then I added oversized nail heads in the corners.
Here's the inside arm.
Outside arm.
I used white gimp for the outsides...
I do believe this young lady is finished!
It's perfectly beautiful.
She sold today!


Have a favorite chair that needs new clothes?
SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370



No comments:

Post a Comment