Tuesday, November 24, 2015

How to Simulate A Reclaimed Wood/Industrial Style Platform Bed

The industrial bedroom project is done!!!! Yay!
And I must say, it is gorgeous and one of my favorite makeovers to date.
BUT
Too many photos to go through before I head out of town for Thanksgiving.
So, for now, I'll show you how I made an industrial platform bed...
out of this ugly waterbed base I found on Craigslist.
I had to retrofit it for a queen size bed.
 I purchased plywood, 
which I cut and screwed to the bottom of the pieces,
and then also cut and screwed on top.
Then I painted the edge so it would blend in.
But those honey oak drawers are still pretty bad…
 So I started layering paints over each of the drawer fronts.
 I used chalk paints so I didn't have to prime.
 Annie Sloan is still my favorite brand……
I used Country Grey, French Linen,
then I mixed Graphite and Barcelona Orange 
to make a chocolate brown…
I didn't want total coverage…
wanted some of the wood to show through.
After the paint, I added dark wax and stains.
 I purchased these cup pulls from Hobby Lobby.
 I used dark wax on them as well.
 Next, I purchased a bunch of yard sticks from Lowes...
 I didn't like all the print, 
so I just painted over the logos and such...
 Lots of stains and waxes later, 
and they look like they've been in an old garage for years.
Perfect!
 I used Power Grab adhesive on the back,
 And then nailed them all along the base of the bed, 
to hide the edge of plywood.
Wow….a vast improvement…...
 Very tasty………looks like reclaimed wood.

More to come after Turkey Day!

Hope all of you have a blessed Thanksgiving!

SheShe, The Home Magician 
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370





No comments:

Post a Comment