Monday, October 13, 2014

A Petite Roll Top Desk Gets a Layered Makeover

 I purchased this cute little roll top desk last week
Not because I needed a roll top desk…
But because it was such a bargain!
And I figured I could spruce it up a bit and resell.
 When I bought it,
it was painted in a two tone treatment of taupe and cream.
I thought the finish was rather flat looking, 
and the hardware was nondescript.
 Here's what I did to make it shine!

I started by sanding down all the edges,
and dry brushing Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Violet
and Greek Blue
on the roll top and the little squares on either side,

Then I dry brushed Old White 
over those areas as well as the taupe areas.
 See how I'm "building" a layered look?
Next, I distress sanded all the edges again.
 Then I clear waxed, 
and added dark wax along the edges and crevices.
I found these red knobs that I really like with the palette...
 Next, I had to find some pulls…
I decided to use these simulated rust cup pulls
I purchased some time ago from Hobby Lobby.
 I painted them with Emperor's Silk and then dark waxed them
and they match the knobs perfectly!
 Here's the piece with the top up.
I didn't touch the inside…just left as is.
And the drawers were already lined with decoupaged book pages..
how awesome is that?
 Next I added some hits of Emperor's Silk here and there,
to integrate the red hardware.
 Finally, I added some dark Jacobean stain to the distressed edges…..
where the wood was peeking through.
 I love this layered look.  
It's so much more interesting that just a coat of paint.
I think it's looking pretty fab with it's new makeover!
This would be a great piece for your laptop/bill paying station, etc.
Just roll down the top, and it's all out of sight!
For sale. $255.

No comments:

Post a Comment