Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ugly chimney cabinet becomes primitive piece..

So on Saturday, I treated myself to a little thrifting.
Hit a couple of shops in Lakeside.
One of them, Pass It On, yielded this piece:
Okay, yes, it's ugly. Glossy pine...

 With decorative handpainted roses....eewwww....on the door...
....top and bottom....
...and shiny brass pulls...

 The first thing I did was separate the two pieces. 
 (I HATE anything I can't move around easily.)
 After adding peel and stick letters to each of the shelves, 
I painted the interior in a custom combo of Annie Sloan chalk paint.
Then I removed the letters to reveal the wood beneath.
Each of the shelves has a word:
Stuff
Junk
Things
Other
 Next I tacked the exteriors.  
I used a variety of chalk paint
colors and layers to build up the look of time-worn paint.
 After everything dried, I distressed and added stain layers
 of Jacobean and Weathered Oak.
 I elected not to put the door back. 
Besides, I can use it later for a headboard or something...
 Looks pretty great...

Heading to my booth....$185.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment