Friday, November 16, 2012

Artistry in a Kitchen: A George Costanza Project!

I recently pulled a George Costanza.
You know, the OPPOSITE...of what I normally do..
So here's the story..

This beautiful kitchen was designed by Lenora McPerson-Cole 
of Better Kitchens & Bath.
She asked me to help with a small project for her client, Jarrod.
So let's take a tour of the kitchen:
I love this kitchen because it's rare 
that you see one that utilizes a mixture of metals like this.
The kitchen has brand new wood cabinetry with brushed satin bar pulls...
Stainless steel appliances...
And copper!! 
I LOVE copper....
Check out this hammered copper farm sink....
Copper faucet...
The island top is covered with copper as well...
It all works beautifully because all the tones 
appear in the metallic glass tile backsplash.
It's all very sparkly and polished, 
but warm and inviting as well.
Nice job, Lenora and Jarrod!
So have you figured out yet 
what my little part was in all this was?
It's the pantry door and moulding...
Which began like this.....
Because the client didn't want the added expense 
of a new custom door and moulding, 
Lenora asked me to faux paint them to match the cabinetry.
I began by base priming in Glidden Gripper. 
Then I undercoated everything with two colors of Annie Sloane Chalk Paint:  
Old Barcelona and Scandinavian Pink
After drying, I began the magic......
I used a variety of stains in Red Oak, Cherry, and Dark Walnut, 
to simulate wood.
Here's the staining  in progress.
 And here's the finish.
Pretty amazing, heh?


It's been a while since I've done this...
My usual assignment is taking old wooden cabinets and painting them lighter.
Here's a similar project I did - but on a much larger scale.
The kitchen began all white on white.
I painted all the cabinets to simulate new cabinetry the client had ordered.
No, it's not one of my all time favorite projects to tackle, 
because it's stinky and messy and time consuming.

But what can I say??
I love a challenge!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment