Monday, November 26, 2012

Schumacher Houndstooth Chair Makeover

Hoping all of you had a blessed Thanksgiving holiday.
I did.....
Now it's back to work.  
Right before the holidays, I had lunch with my friend/client, Jeannie.
We both love antiquing and thrifting. 
(She had a little shop for years called "Meant to Bee" out on Patterson near the 288 interchange.)
We lunched and then hit the new Boaz and Ruth consignment store in Carytown...
and I found this:
 Amazing old wooden chair frame....
 Original casters........look at those legs!
Back detail.......
Unfortunately, it had no back or seat.........
just a million tacks.....
They gave me a deal I couldn't refuse, 
even though I knew it would be a lot of work..
 And it was..
First I removed all the tacks......
then I did a small repair and spot sanded.
 Next I cut out a seat from plywood to fit.
You know me, I LOVE to paint furniture. 
And this one would have been a beaut.
 But I decided to keep the gorgeous dark wood on this chair.
So I applied a light coat of Jacobean stain...
 I rebuilt the back, seat and arms with foam, webbing, and batting, and used this
Schumacher houndstooth fabric in a chocolate to recover.
 I added trim around all the edges of the upholstery.

 And you know me, I always like to add a surprise. 
So for the back, 
I used this fabric sample I've been saving for just the right project.
 It is a fabulous chair, if I say so myself.  
I didn't even get it to the booth before it sold.
For the rest of this week, 
I'll be busy preparing for our open house at 
Saturday, December 1st.
10AM-5PM
Hope you can make it.
Everything will be 10% off...
Lots of one-of-a-kind treasures.
Tis the season to shop!

2 comments: