Thursday, January 19, 2012

Trashy Cover Up: Cabinet Makeover

Hello all of you out there in blogland......
I'm back!  
I know, I've disappeared for awhile......
Today was a beautiful day, and since I had to take my Bernina sewing machine into the shop yesterday, I couldn't tackle all the sewing projects I have on the books.
So, I decided to do a little sidewalk work this afternoon.  
I had my sights on this yukky cabinet that my friend, Robin, found in the trash.  You can see why someone tossed it... 
 She wanted it out of her car so I gladly took it...

 Pretty disgusting really.......
I took a putty knife to it and got off most of the loose paint.
 That's TEXTURE, baby!!!!! It's going to look great after I'm finished.
 It has a nasty retro formica top.........Bet it will clean up with a little Bar Keepers Friend...
 And this is what it looks like now! 
What a great little cabinet for a kitchen island, or a bar.
I  painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paints in Duck Egg Blue and Provence, dry brushing most of the edges.  
Then I distress sanded, and waxed with clear MinWax, and Annie Sloan Dark Wax.
 Added some miscellaneous hardware from my stash...
 I love these pewter nail heads I purchased from Ufab.
 They're great for disguising holes when you have to reposition hardware, etc,  and don't want to deal with wood filler and sanding and dry time.....
I'm on a schedule here folks! Who has time for dry time?
See how the waxes accentuate all the crackled paint that's leftover?
No, Robin, you cannot have it back!

1 comment: