Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bookcase Makeover with Rustic Type Transfers

After living with this piece for a year or so, I finally decided it was time to tackle it!  It was one of those treasures I found on the front porch of Greenwood Country Store. I put a beadboard back on it...and it's been collecting power tools, knobs, paint, DUST, under my stairwell ever since.......So during this week's purge/rearrangement, I pulled this baby out.....
I had to do a little work on the legs because it was leaning terribly. So I whipped out my circular saw and cut down the legs to make the piece stand straight.......(or straighter anyway..)
I painted it with some Sherwin Williams color samples left over from a project.....The back is Trade Winds, which I dry brushed on to give it a not-so perfect-appearance, and the frame is Softer Tan.
And then I transferred words from my printer onto the backs of each shelf:
I'm still experimenting with this technique......I've learned so many approaches via folks on Pinterest lately, some that work better on fabric, and some on wood...and I'm still exploring......look for some how-to's soon....it's amazing the wealth of information that is available out there! It's like going to school every time I sit down at my computer....there's nothing like learning! So keep those great ideas flowing, folks! And I'll do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment