Saturday, January 7, 2012

Feeding the Addiction: The Saga of a Rehabbed Console Table.

Oh my, I haven't been to a junk store in weeks........serious withdrawal symptoms are kicking in, so thought I would just peek my head into Diversity Thrift today on my way home from client appointments.  
I walked in and immediately saw this sofa console on a metal base for $35...I'm not kidding, we were on our way home in literally 5 minutes, me and yet another piece of furniture that I didn't need.

 Not a real fine piece of furniture by any means, but this is something I figure I can redo fairly easily and sell in my booth.  Besides, I love many drawered things!
The piece is pressed wood...........has some water damage around the base...
 And the top is scuffed up but that's okay because I'll be painting it.......
People ask me if I know what I'm going to do with a piece in advance.  
Sometimes I do, sometimes it just has to evolve. 
 In the case of this one, I thought I might try something a bit different than my normal finishes.....
Perhaps an asian inspired chinese red with blacks??.
I painted the piece in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Emperor's Silk, and then dry brushed Graphite.  Yuk...hate it....I added a Pewter Metallic Glaze, but I still wasn't feeling the love.......
 Next I used some Benjamin Moore satin finish paint I had on hand in Gossamer Blue. 
I just continued dry brushing over the base coat.  
After letting this dry, I got out my trusty mouse sander.
 Okay, getting better now....I'm liking the aged look with the red base coat peeping through and the wood showing now on the sanded edges.
 Next.....let's add some numbers..........I printed off some numbers in a stencil font, and then traced them on each of the drawer fronts.
 I don't know what it is about numbers on furniture...I just like them.
I painted in the numbers with Graphite.
 Yep, really starting to come together now...the black numerals help tie in the wrought iron base.
 Then I brushed the Graphite along all the sanded edges where the wood is peeping through.
 After adding some shiny metallic black knobs, it's looking like this....Not sure about the knobs yet..
 Here's the piece after I waxed it with clear and dark waxes......The clear wax pulls out the red undercoat and the dark wax ages the piece......but I'm still not in love with the knobs...........I mean they're okay....but...aha, idea!!!!!
 I pulled out the Mod Podge..
 and decoupaged some images of different corals onto wooden knobs...
here they are still wet...
 And here they are added to the piece....
Certainly not your run-of-the-mill piece now.  
Hmmm, a numbered, coral knobbed sofa console...

 What do you think?  Too much? Or just right?
I'm sort of grooving on it..........Heading to the booth soon...Selling for $165.  If you're interested, shoot me a message.........
Just another day in the life of a thrift junkie.
Thanks for reading my blog!

2 comments:

  1. You are such a clever girl. In this world of recycle and rehab, I love what you do! Those of us out there need to follow your lead and if we aren't as crafty as you, we can have YOU put new life into old things. I so enjoy my chair that you did. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you doris!! I love what i do. Nothing makes me happier than reinventing an old piece in a new way!! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete