Tuesday, March 20, 2018

An upcycled broken vanity becomes a Kitchen Island!



Here is a recent makeover I had great fun with!
It was an old vanity, 
but the middle part with the mirror was gone.

 My original intention with this was to take out the middle part,
and make two nightstands.
 So I proceeded with that plan:
One of the tops had veneer issues,
and while I was removing it...
I started thinking this...
What if instead of two nightstands,
I butt the ends together so drawers are on either side......
 It was an aha moment!
 AND, 
I then remembered this black coffee table 
that a friend had given me
(Thanks, Valerie Williams!)
 I put it on top, 
but it was just shy lengthwise.......
 Not a problem!!!!!!!! I simply removed the tops.......
 And now.......it fits like a glove!!!!
I love when this happens....
 Next, I play around with how to adhere the two pieces...
and try to cosmetically disguise the imperfections...
of where the middle piece was.
 I played around with a few things....
a celtic cross and some lumber...
 Also this medallion.
 I think this is it...
 I glued down then weighted the lumber while I continued to play...
 The top of an old quilt stand now becomes a towel rack..
 And the painting begins.........
Chalk paint in French Linen...
 Just wait, this is going to all come together once it's painted!!!!!!!
 See?
I love how the coffee table top looks like old soapstone!!!!!!
 I picked up these two black and gold medallions at a thrift store....
 They are perfect for the two sides.........
 After everything is dry,
I decide to incorporate more black tones into the base 
by drybrushing the edges and details with black chalk paint.

 As well as the medallions....
 I just continue to build a patina..

 And then everything is waxed. 
I used clear as well as black wax....
 Oh, my my, this is looking quite tasty.....
 The waxes just enrichen everything......and bring it to life.
 Once the waxes dry and are buffed out,
there's a lovely sheen that almost looks like pewter.
 It's finished!
 Here it is all set up at one of my retail booths.
TONS of storage on either side.
It has its original casters.
This would make the perfect kitchen island, 
or coffee bar.
Don't you agree?

Right now, you can find me for sale at my booth at
Greenwood Antiques!

That was a blast!
Thanks for reading!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment